Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Great website for local foods!

With all the controversy lately over so many of our foods (even those stating "Product of Canada") coming from China and uncertainty about their quality control and food safety, I have been highly aware of food labels lately. Many of them do not say where they are from and apparently, there are no regulations about this. Apparently, if a product's packaging is made in Canada but the food inside comes from China, they don't have to tell you that- because part of it (i.e. the packaging) is from Canada, they can say "Product of Canada". This is so shady! I am really hoping that this changes some time soon. In the meantime, I'm trying to do what I can to decipher the ever confusing world of food labels and buy local Canadian (or even American) products when possible. To take it even a step further, I heard about this great website this morning and wanted to share it for anyone interested in supporting our local farmers/producers- it's all about foods produced right here in NS!

http://www.selectnovascotia.ca/

Check it out for places to buy local products, recipes and tons more! I hope you find it as interesting as I did! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure do miss your regular updates. :)

Anonymous said...

Good site you have got here.. It's hard to find excellent writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate people like you! Take care!!

Feel free to surf to my webpage - Pirater un compte facebook